Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"A New Earth"

I was sitting out in the yard this morning with my coffee, enjoying the sound of the birds. My first observation is I don't do that often enough. Most mornings I get up and immediately begin thinking about what needs to get done for the day. And what about the evenings? I rarely sit out and enjoy the sunset or observe nature and how the world changes throughout the day.

If you haven't guessed by now I've been reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle also participating in the learning sessions with Oprah. Initially the concepts seemed far reaching but after practicing a few techniques and learning more about human nature, I've come to terms with the fact I don't live in the now.

There are moments of now but they are not consistent and what an incredible peace comes with being in the now. Not what happened yesterday or where do I need to be in an hour or tomorrow. Just now, here I am.

So what does this have to do with landscape lighting? We all want to believe we somehow contribute to the world. We want to be like Oprah and "Give Big." We are not all in position to do that but we can give what we can.

When I decided to go into the Outdoor Lighting business, I wanted a business that was sustainable, scalable, offered quality products, services and allowed me to be a value to my clients. That is all very true but what I have discovered goes beyond that.

I've had clients tell me how they never had people over to their homes before we designed their landscape lighting. Now their relatives and neighbors invite themselves over to enjoy the evening atmosphere. Others have testified how much they now use their outdoor living space instead of sitting inside with the television.

One client in particular was excited about being able to enjoy the beauty of the front of the house and he'd never taken the time to look before (it was too dark). He called from the front lawn with a Martini in hand just beaming. Several others have admitted to driving around the block several times just to get another look as they approached.

My point is this, take the time to notice what is already around you. We spend time and money creating the tranquil spaces in our yards. We build water features, import exotic plants, employ ourselves and gardeners to care for them. We have architectural features of fountains, sculptures, rock, brick and nameless other we enjoy looking at.

Let's illuminate our perspectives with lighting to enhance these features when the sun has set. We don't have to go inside, we can linger well beyond the sunset. After a day of hustle go home, sit in the yard and just be. Talk with our loved ones, our neighbors or listen to the night.

LaGina Glass


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: